In preparation for tonight’s Midnight Launch at the Robson and Granville Future Shop, former Canuck Trevor Linden got his hands on NHL 10 alongside Producer David Littman and some of the local press.

“I’m amazed with how authentic and lifelike the game plays. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve played the game and even with something like Sedin winning the face-off, it looks exactly how he really does it.”

linden01b

Linden, always a gentleman and great ambassador of the sport, received some pointers with Litty before going through the press gauntlet. In between an interview with Electric Playground and the Canadian Press, I had time to play against him and ask a couple of my own questions. In particular, I wanted to get his thoughts on Theo Fleury’s return to the game at Calgary’s training camp this past weekend.

“The way he went out wasn’t the way he wanted to go out, so I think if it works out for him then that’s great. I don’t think he’ll be breaking any records,” he stated when asked about his potential. “but if he ends up playing I see the city of Calgary getting really excited about him returning.”

linden01_3b

Which lead, of course, to me asking him about returning to the Canucks lineup after being away for a year, “No way, no comeback” he said with a smile and a laugh. “There might not be a lot of things I can guarantee, but that, would be one of them.”

With that, I went on to score the only goal of the period that we played and he was gracious enough to comment on how nice a goal it was. “Luongo should’ve had that one,” noting the goalie’s failed attempt to backhand the puck out of the air. “Nice goal.” Lou actually did deflect it, but it then went off of a defender near the crease and into the net…but I digress.

For those of you in the Vancouver area, get to the Future Shop on Granville and Robson early as Linden will be signing autographs from 9PM to 11PM. Stick around until midnight and be first to grab a copy of NHL 10. For those of you in Toronto, former Leaf Wendel Clark and current Leaf Matt Stajan will be at the Toronto Life Square Future Shop doing the same before midnight hits Eastern time.